My grandmother turned 90 recently. This means she has been on this earth for 90 YEARS! She has 90 YEARS worth of life stories, lessons, and wisdom living inside her.
So, why have I never bothered to ask her about these things?
As an adult raising my own family, how wonderful to get some perspective, insight, and guidance from someone who has spent almost a century on this earth.
Our grandparents are the keys to our past. Their lives, choices, priorities, traditions, and values greatly shape who WE are today. But what do we really know about these things?
I, for one, had never thought to ask my Grandmother about all of the things that make her, her. For that matter, which pieces of her are reflected in my own life and family now. At 90 years old, what does she know that I need to know about growing older?
All things I never bothered to ask. Until now.
There is so much we can learn from our grandparents, and we are making a huge mistake by not asking them about their lives. Their lives are rich with stories and wisdom that can carry you through situations in your own life.
If you are blessed enough to still have a grandparent in your life - talk to them! Don’t wait until it’s too late.
My grandmother lives in an assisted living facility and not only did this exercise create a welcomed distraction during this challenging time we are in, we both had the best time! I learned so much about my grandmother and we laughed...a lot!
I recorded our conversation, which we had over the phone, so I could always have it.
Here are the 20 questions that drove our delightful and insightful conversation, one that I will always remember.
1. What is the most important lesson you have learned in life?
2. What has been the greatest joy of your life?
3. What brings you the most joy and happiness?
4. What is your favorite life memory?
5. What is the best place you've ever visited?
6. What is the best family trip you can remember?
7. What are some of your favorite family traditions?
8. What is your favorite thing about your family?
9. What is your favorite thing about yourself?
10. What do you believe is the secret to a happy marriage?
11. Who inspires you?
12. In your eyes, why are we here?
13. What is the legacy you hope to leave behind?
14. What is the best advice you were ever given?
15. What is YOUR best piece of advice to others?
16. What is the happiest you've ever been?
17. What is your favorite memory with your children?
18. What is your favorite memory from your time as a college athlete?
19. When you look back on your almost 90 years, is there anything you would have done different?
20. What surprises you most about life in 2020?
I just loved spending time with my grandparents when I was younger. I wish I had a more detailed recording of the moments we shared, since time has a way of making memories fade. Especially with my grandparents that are no longer here on Earth.
It’s one of the main reasons we created the Grandparent Journal. If there is a grandparent or soon-to-be grandparent in your life, give them a way to record the moments they share with their grandchildren so their love for each other and memories together will live forever.